Friday, February 6, 2009

Cats... Really?

So I get this phone call from Adam Lambert right? We're talking about country dancing and how that's not really his thing, and what my plans are for Valentine's day,and from just about out of the blue I find myself in the middle of a "non-DTR!" DTR= Determine The Relationship. It's a non-DTR because well... there is no R. And so then can there be no D-ing right? So it was really kind of awkward because we're trying to just "explain what we're thinking." Adam is feeling like he compliments me a lot... and it's true, he does... and I have no complaints about that... but he also feels that I don't reciprocate complimenting. Hmmm, so I'm thinking about it. He has kind of a good point, I don't compliment him on things even a quarter as much as he compliments me. So, I'm thinking about it a sec and what brilliance falls out of my mouth??? Get this... I said, "Do you know what Mark Twain said?" Adam is like, "What!?! I don't Care what Mark Twain said!" I said, "No no no, I'm going somewhere with this... Mark Twain said that redheads are like cats!" Oh good grief, please tell me I am going somewhere Relevant with this... (I'm telling you... it made sense at the moment) Adam says, "Oh Great!! I hate cats! They don't do anything you want them to, they just walk around all the time looking at you like 'I don't care what you think, I'm gonna do whatever I want!" "...Well," I said, "...Don't you think I do that? (silence) What else do cats do?" "Well, they like to be petted and when they're tired of it they just walk away regardless of if you want them to." "Mhmmm," I said, "Go on." "They sit and purr as long as you are doing what they want, but hiss, or scratch, or run off if you don't do it right" So I said, "See, Mark Twain was thinkin' about that before he said it!" " Adam says, "So... what am I supposed to take from that?" I said, "Well, either that you actually do like that cats are that way... or that you really don't like me as much as you might think you do!" Then I jumped into this whole long thing about how I don't want to get into a relationship because when I am in them I tend to spend all my time and energies on that person and being that I just moved here, I want to be able to meet lots of different people and make lots of new friends instead of just one guy and his friends. Well, next thing you know we are both so confused by whatever was falling out of my mouth, that neither of us really had any kind of response to it. So we just sat there a minute and then said. "Ok, well, that was useless, let's not do that again!" Then he says something about how he (figuratively) wrote me a note and I passed it back as a blank page. He could see I was trying to say something, but had zero clue as to what that was. Well, that made two of us. But, nonetheless, it was a lengthy non-DTR and he said he'll wait for me to bring it up next time... phew! THAT I can handle!

No comments:

Post a Comment